L. H. Church History

Lake Hanska Lutheran Church's Chronological History

Church 1881 - web

 

1869

Lake Hanska Lutheran Congregation's organized services are held in homes or in the grove of Guttorm Thordson, under a basswood tree.

1870

Lake Hanska, Linden, and Butternut Valley jointly called a pastor from the Norwegian Synod.

1881

thumb Church 1881 - web

Built Church. Each members' donations to be either a 2'1/2  year old steer or wheat harvested from 1 1/2 acres. (Eight bushels or a minimum of $ 16.00).

NOTE: The value or buying power of 16 dollars in 1881, after being adjusted for inflation, is calculated at $ 339.74 at today's (2007) monetary rate.

1890

Lake Hanska joined the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church.

1899

Parsonage was built.

1901

 thumb Church 1901

Lake Hanska Church enlarged and remolded.

1901

1901 Christmas Lake Hanska

Picture of Lake Hanska Church sanctuary – Christmas.

Early 1900's

Early 1900's church site.

1915 

1915 Lake Hanska Church

Picture of Lake Hanska Church sanctuary - Christmas

1920

Four point parish: Linden, Lake Hanska, Zion and LaSalle set up.

1920

Parsonage 1920

Picture of Ind. School District 31, Lake Hanska Church & Parsonage.

1921 

English language services conducted every 3rd Sunday.

1922 

Basement church parlors built under the church.

1923

Confirmands were instructed in English and the Constitution was translated into English.

1926

Gas lights were replaced by electric.

1930

Secretary's records were now written in the English language.

1930

1930 school and parsonage

Picture of Ind. School District 31 and  Lake Hanska Church Parsonage,

1948

Sunday School organized.

1952

Two-point parish formed: Lake Hanska and LaSalle. LaSalle provides parsonage in LaSalle.  Services are now held every Sunday.

1954

Women of the congregation are given the right to vote at congregational meetings.

1958

Lake Hanska joined 10 other congregations in forming Luther Memorial Home Corporation.

1958

1958 parsonage

Picture of Lake Hanska Church parsonage.

1964

Narthex and Sunday School Rooms addition is added to church.

1976

First Fourth of July Joint Worship Service held with 6 other area congregations.

1985

Began sponsoring Power of God Radio Ministry and continue to do so.

1986

First fruits giving to the benevolence adopted. Men In Mission organized

1993

Membership is 299 baptized. Basswood tree planted on church lawn to commemorate services held 125 years ago.

2005

Four point parish reestablished: Linden, Lake Hanska, Zion and LaSalle – Prairie Land Lutheran Parish. Parsonage in LaSalle, Parish  office in Hanska.

2008

Lake Hanska Church steeple was refurbished. Photo Insert from dedication service.

2008

Back

 

Pictures of Lake Hanska Church at Christmas.

Front & Back

 

 

November 21, 2017
Last month November 2017 Next month
S M T W T F S
week 44 1 2 3 4
week 46 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
week 47 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
week 48 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
week 26 27 28 29 30

 

 

About Prairie Land Lutheran Parish

What do we mean by "parish", anyway? Come to the About Us section  and find out what we're all about!

 

What is the ELCA?

Find out about the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the history of this wonderful organization on our About the ELCA page.

 

Find us on facebook!